Drive on the left in the U.K.
Yes, they drive on the left in Great Britain; they also love roundabouts
It's amazing how, at first, you will manage to forget this simple and famous rule about 90% of the time you get back into the car.
Also remember that its is the right turns that are now the tricky, wide, have-to-wait-your-turn situations.
Furthermore, the U.K. has many roundabouts (traffic rotaries), and navigating those "backwards" can play mind tricks on you until you get used to them.
Remember: a car already in the roundabout has the right of way (or is that the left of way?) over a car entering the roundabout.
Just remember the experience of Clark W. Griswold in National Lampoon's European Vacation, (excellent travel documentary) constantly forgetting to drive on the left, causing traffic accidents, and getting stuck for hours in an roundabout, unable to exit. "Look kids! Big Ben! Parliament!"
- Gov.uk - Official UK governmental rules of the road, guides to road signs and their meaning, and more
- Amazon.com - A link to get road maps of Great Britain.Partner
- Slowtrav.com - Nice article introducing all of the quirks of driving in the United Kingdom—not just how to drive on the left, but roundabouts, highway types, speed cameras, and handy tips.
- Orcutt.net - Almost comically in-depth blog entry—with loads of links—about driving in the U.K. This guy went way above and beyond what's necessary when planning to drive on his British vacation, but it is about the most complete explanation of being on the British road from a Yankee's point of view as you'll ever find. Some good tips.
- Theaa.com - The British version of AAA provides, among other things, a monthly gas prices chart and a map of traffic incidents and slowdowns.
- Parkopedia.co.uk - live parking maps
- Tfl.gov.uk - Driving in London
- Cclondon.com - All about the infamous "congestion charge" you have to pay if you happen to drive in central London.
- Urbanaccessregulations.eu - Central clearinghouse for information on every city in Europe (most, nowawdays) that has some sort of limited access to the city center, congestion charging, Low Emission Zones, or other wrinkle you need to be aware of.
- Autoeurope.com - Wholesale prices on rentals (and short-term leases) from major rental companies. You end up picking up the car at the local Avis, Hertz, Europcar, or whatever office; you just pay less than the rack rate from those companies.Partner
- Rentalcars.com - Comparison shop the rates at multiple rental companies all at once.Partner
- Momondo.com - Comparison shop the rates at multiple rental companies all at once.Partner
- Europebycar.com - Offers both short-term rentals and short-term leases, making it easy to compare prices on a single site.
- Priceline.com - Actually finds good prices on U.K. rentals.Partner
- Vayama.com - aggregatorPartner
- Carrentals.com - This Expedia.com property searches about a dozen major rental companies at once.Partner