Fish 'n' chips
Battered and fried fish served with french fries—the ultimate greasy British fast food
England's most famed street food is, of course, fish 'n' chips, which can range from flaky cod lightly fried with meaty chips (french fries) to unidentifiable, chewy fish-like substance fried with the scales still on until it's dripping with oil (let's not get into some of the horrible chips).
The fish—flour battered and deep fried—is usually cod or haddock (food regs from 2003 guanrantee you will know), but someotime skate, plaice, ray, or anotehr white fish is offered.
To make sure you get quality chippies, patronize these:
- Gastronomic London - This walk is a great way to see some of the most famous neighborhoods of London from a different perspective. In the company of a food historian, or an art historian with a background in gastronomy, we generally start near Green Park, at the quintessential British food oasis: Fortnum & Mason. We will pay extra attention to the artistry of the cuisine and the aesthetics of the display, while taking in the history of this institution; all while tasting some local favorites, like scotch eggs and violet creams (the Queen’s favorite!)...Partner
- London Market Walk - This 2.5-hour walk will lead us through and around one of London's best markets. We will start at Southwark Cathedral by discussing the history of farming in the area and the significance of the Thames and London Bridge to the growth of trade. Following a look around the surroundings, we will dive into the market to talk about—and sample—the great number of foods on offer, from chocolate made by Italian monks to scallops dived off the Devon coast to exquisite truffle oils...Partner
- Evening Food Tour of Soho in London - The evening food tour takes you away from the tourist traps to the cafes, restaurants and shops that are truly shaping the city’s culinary reputation. Explore Soho’s best-kept secrets on this tour, your guide will redefine what you think of British cuisine. The area’s international influences are so diverse that you’ll try everything from Spanish Jamón to Chinese dumplings...Partner
- Traditional British Ale and Food Tasting Evening in London - Sample some of the fine food and beer for which Britain is famous on this 2-hour British ale and food tasting evening in London. Taste six ales with your host, hear about the brewing process and learn how to pull a pint. Enjoy dishes such as steak and ale pie, fish and chips and wild boar burgers, and see how the beers and food complement one another...Partner
- Tea Tasting Walking Tour in London - Along this walk you will learn about when and how tea smuggling flourished in the UK. Your guide will tell you all about how the English Tea Ceremony looked like in the 18th century, also when and how it was created and how Monument and Charles II (who you can see on the Monument itself) are related to tea. End this tour at a beautiful location with the exceptional tea tasting of 3 or 4 traditional British teas which are carefully paired with sweets and snacks...Partner
- London East End Food Tour - Get to know the East End’s burgeoning food scene and its fascinating history on a 3.5-hour London walking tour. With a friendly local guide, explore the eclectic neighborhoods of Shoreditch and Spitalfields and discover the places where in-the-know Londoners choose to eat. Wolf down a bacon sandwich at the award-winning St John Bread and Wine restaurant, discover the legendary salt-beef bagels of Beigel Bake and sample artisan British cheese. Traditional fish and chips at Poppies are also included, as are curry samples on Brick Lane and more...Partner
- London's Chocolate Walking Tour - This chocolate tour in London is a chocoholic’s heaven! Explore the glamorous area of Mayfair with your expert guide and learn about the history of chocolate while sampling six chocolate delights. This 2.5-hour guided walking tour will take you to some of the finest chocolatiers in London including Paul A Young, Hotel Chocolat and Ladurée. You'll also visit some famous department stores, like Liberty of London and Fortnum & Mason. This is a great way to get to know London while enjoying some delicious treats...Partner
- London Food Walking Tour: Brixton Markets - Visit Brixton Market on this exciting 3-hour small-group food tour, led by a friendly local guide! Your tour visits its best delis and stalls, while introducing you to Brixton's bohemian buzz and its thriving pop-up restaurant scene. Enjoy an Afro-Caribbean breakfast, cakes, a cupcake and local beer. You'll also learn about the history of this vibrant market on a walking tour and discover where to find the best treats in town...Partner
- Notting Hill to Kensal Rise Food Walking Tour - This tour from Notting Hill to Kensal Rise explores Portobello Road market and the Golborne Road market. Generous food samples include Turkish tea and the freshest baklava in London, as well as a main meal in a test kitchen at the back of a cookbook shop. Try Jamie Olivers' preferred chippie, followed by Moroccan harira soup and a Portugese pastel de nata and end with award winning brownies in Kensal Rise...Partner
- Borough to Brixton Food Walking Tour in London - Enjoy a tour for foodies and lovers of authentic cultural cuisines. Your private tour starts with a visit to the 32nd floor of the The Shard, and is followed by the best parts of the Borough Market and the insiders guide to trendy Brixton. This 3 to 4 hour tour will have you sampling the best of British cheeses, Israeli bourekas, handmade Scotch eggs, famous fresh custard doughnuts, handmade Beijing dumplings and Neapoli style sourdough pizza...Partner
- Chef-Led Foodies Walking Tour of Soho in London - Let a local chef show you the foodie delights of one of London's most exciting culinary hubs: Soho. Each walk is led by a local chef giving you an alternative London foodie tour, focusing on contemporary food trends and current gastronomic influences. The small group eating and walking tour uncovers fabulous culinary finds in the quirky laneways and hidden alleys of London's most colourful neighborhood. Discover foodie spots and secret 'those-who-know' outlets that are hard to find on your own...Partner
- London Food Walking Tour: London Bridge and Borough Market - Firstly, your local London guide will take you to the exciting Borough Market to soak up the atmosphere, see the 100 different stalls and eat some English fudges/chocolate. This eating paradise was not even on the tourist foodie radar a few years ago.Still in the market, you will try award winning Lincolnshire sausages followed by the best and most fresh fish and chips in town (and you will get to see the difference between ‘chips’ and ‘French fries’). Next will see local chocolate and cheese shops and try freshly baked homemade bread from the famous Bread Ahead Bakery. Your tour will continue to a historic pub where you can try the best of British cheeses, served with grapes, fig cakes and chutneys washed down with real London Beers, Ales, or delicious ciders (or non-alcoholic options)...Partner
- International Food Tour of Soho in London - Discover London’s diverse culture and cuisine on this 4.5-hour food tour of Soho, one of the oldest and most vibrant districts in the city. Follow a guide along the highways and byways of Soho while learning about the neighborhood’s international influences, and pass famous theaters, elegant boutiques and quirky cafes. As you walk, enjoy up to 10 food samples plus tastings of wine and beer in some of the most eclectic and historical eateries in town...Partner
- Bankside and London Bridge Food Walking Tour in London -
Discover a thousand year old market, a hidden roof top cafe with a seasonal menu, captivating urban forests and mouth-watering pie made from local ingredients. Sample British charcuterie and cheese made from a family with recipes that are centuries old.Partner
Foodies with a sweet tooth will love the education on Fair-trade chocolate with tastings of delectable hot chocolate and a visit to an authentic gelato store with flavors sourced from Borough Market...
- Candy Making Class in London - This is your chance to learn the science and craft involved in bringing to life one of the most iconic British candy traditions. Working alongside a Master Candy Maker you’ll take a journey through making your own candy. You’’ll choose your designs, mix in the flavors, roll and create an array of personally handcrafted candy. At the end of the class you’ll get to take home some of your creations to impress your friends and family...Partner