Getting to Oxford
How to get to Oxford, England, by car, coach, train, and airplane
- Nationalrail.co.uk - Covers all of the lines once operated by the (since-privitized) old British Rail, as well as info on all British rail stations, including maps and services. This includes most major British railways, but notably does not cover many urban area light rail systems (such as London, Glasgow, Manchester, Blackpool, Sheffield, and Midland Metro), nor does it cover the Eurostar, Heathrow Express, nor a handful of heritage or privately owned railways. Still, it's the closest thing to one-stop shopping for finding train connections across the mainland U.K. (though not Northern Ireland).
- BritRail passes - Book railpasses good for travel all over Great Britain—or just in parts of all of England or Scotland.Partner
- Eurostar.com - The super-fast train through the Channel Tunnel connecting London with Paris (2.5 hrs.), Brussels (2 hrs.) and—though those hubs—the rest of Europe. » more
- Europetrainsguide.com - General train info from a private site devoted to European rail travel.
- Seat61.com - General train info from a private site devoted to rail travel, including detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to get from London to just about any other country in Europe via rail.
- Traintaxi.co.uk - Search stations to find out whether they have taxi ranks/stands, and the phone numbers for pre-booking a cab. (Not being updated after April 2016, but still handy.)
- Sleeper.scot - overnight train
- Heritagerailways.com - An association of historic, heritage, and narrow guage railways—many operating steam trains on historic scenic routes. The site is pretty bare-bones, but if you click on a railway and then look for the link in the box below the map (not teh name on the map itself), you can get to the website for that heritage rail line, train museum, or tourist train
- Train map - A rail network map courtesy of Nationalrail.co.uk.
Coaches (buses) links
- Nationalexpress.com - The largest coach operator in the U.K., with more than 1,200 destinations served, including connecting aiports to cities.
- Uk.megabus.com - Budget coach operator—advance tickets can cost as little as £1.50—connecting London to around 90 major U.K. destinations, plus the Continent (France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Colgone, and Barcelona)
- Eurolines.co.uk - The National Express, linked above, is the U.K. branch of a vast European network of coach lines. If you are looking to connect Great Britain to the Continent by bus, start here.
- Flixbus.com - This German coach line connects London to Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Prague.
- Ouibus.com - This French coach company connects London to Paris, Lille, Amsterdam, and Brussels.
- Berryscoaches.co.uk - Berry's connects two dozen stops in the U.K.'s West Country with London.
- x90.oxfordbus.co.uk - Connecting Oxford and London by coach.
- Oxfordtube.com - Despite the name, this is actually a bus between Oxford and London.
Heathrow airport transfers links
Gatwick airport transfers links