Emergency numbers for police, fire, and other safety issues in the U.K.
Dial tel. 999 (or 112) to call the police, report a fire, or call for an ambulance anywhere in the U.K.
(To call the police in a non-emergency, dial tel. 101)
For roadside assistance from the British AA (not free to non-members, but handy), dial tel. 0800-88-77-66.
Why two emergency numbers?
999 has been Britain's main emergency response number since 1937.
In 1995, they also added 112, which has become the standard emergency number across Europe.
Whichever number you dial, however, all calls get routed to the same emergency response system.
- Tel. 999 - The general emergency number for the entire United Kingdom. Call tel. 999 for the police, fire department, ambulance, or coast guard. The European Union standard number of tel. 112 also works.
- Tel. 101 - Call tel. 101 to contact the police in a non-emergency situation.
- 0800 88 77 66 - Call tel. 0800-88-77-66 to receive roadside assistance from the AA (the British Automobile Association). This is not a free service (unless you are a member), but it can come in handy if you break down.
- USA (london.usembassy.gov) - American Citizen Services, 24 Grosvenor Square (at Upper Brook St.), W1K 6AH. Open Mon-Fri 8am–5pm. (tel. (0)20-7499-9000; London.usembassy.gov). Tube: Marble Arch (Central), Bond Street (Jubilee, Central).
- Canada (canadainternational.gc.ca) - Canada House, Trafalgar Square (west side, at Pall Mall —visitor's entrance on Cockspur St.), London, SW1Y 5BJ. (tel. (0)20-7004-6000; Canadainternational.gc.ca). Tube: Charing Cross (Bakerloo, Northern).
- Australia (uk.embassy.gov.au) - Australia House, The Strand (where road splits at Aldwych), London WC2B 4LA. Open Mon-Fri 8am–4pm (appointments by phone only 9am–noon). (tel. (0)20-7887-5816; Uk.embassy.gov.au). Tube: Temple (Circle, District).
- New Zealand (Nzembassy.com) - New Zealand House, 80 Haymarket (near Pall Mall), London SW1Y 4TQ. Open Mon-Fri 10am–4pm. (tel. (0)20-7968 2730; Nzembassy.com/united-kingdom). Tube: Charing Cross (Bakerloo, Northern) or Picadilly (Picadilly, Bakerloo).
- South Africa (Southafricahouseuk.com) - Consular section/Passport services: 15 Whitehall St. (just S of Trafalgar Square), London SW1A 2DD. Open Mon-Fri 8:45am–12:45pm. (tel. (0)20-7925-8900, Southafricahouseuk.com). Tube: Charing Cross (Bakerloo, Northern).
- Squaremouth.com - This aggregator is like an online personal shopper, canvassing 22 independent travel insurance providers based on your criteria and showing you all the results at once so you can quickly compare plans and pick an insurer.Partner
- Insuremytrip.com - This aggregator is like an online personal shopper, canvassing 25 independent travel insurance providers based on your criteria and showing you all the results at once so you can quickly compare plans and pick an insurer.Partner
- Worldnomads.com - A top travel insurer, covering the entire world. Especially good for adventure travel.Partner