Sleep for free
Ways to sleep for free in the U.K.
Yes, it can be done! There are at least 11 ways you can spend the night in England absolutely for free. And the best news is that none of them involves park benches or climbing out hotel windows and down fire escapes at 4am.
Some of these techniques do involve joining a club or network, and there is a fee involved with that, but spending the night won't cost you a dime—and besides, those one-time fees tend to cost less than a single night's stay in a mid-priced hotel.
There a really three categories of techniques, those that are:
- Totally free, like Couchsurfing and sleeping in airports.
- Only sometimes free or involve small fees, including overnight trains, hospitality clubs, and monasteries & convents.
- Come with some sort of small catch, like owning a home you can swap, offering to house-sit (which usually means "pet-sit"), or working for your board, as is the case with work exchange programs (like WWOOF), house sitting, or crewing a boat.
Ways to sleep for free
Also in Top 12 hotel savings:
- Check the hotel website
- Avoid breakfast
- Share bathrooms
- Share a room
- Stay nearby
- Try a bidding site
- Pay cash
- Consider alternative accommodations
- A warning about user reviews